Monday, September 25, 2006

Mock Printz: Monster Blood Tattoo Book One: Foundling by D. M. Cornish

Title: Monster Blood Tattoo Book One: Foundling
Author:D. M. Cornish
ISBN:0-399-24638-X
I kept putting off reading this book but it truly surprised me. It is a very original and creative fantasy, beautifully illustrated and written by a young Australian man. His concept of the made-up world is finely detailed and almost plays second fiddle to his story. But although a slow start, once the story got going, it really got going. A young teen, raised in a protected world of an orphanage finally is sent on his merry way to become a lamplighter for the government. But his journey becomes unforgettable as he gets on the wrong boat and gets inadvertently caught up in this bizarre world of monsters and monster fighters. At first I thought the book was too plot driven for my personal taste but I came to care about the characters. Towards the end of the book, there is some humor and more humanity as well as "monsteranity"... Now I can't wait for the second book. This book will probably be on my top ten list.....
Reviewed by: Susan Rappaport, Rutherford Public Library

No comments: