Thursday, July 20, 2006

Mock Newbery: The King of Attolia by Megan Whalen Turner

Title: The King of Attolia
Author: Megan Whalen Turner
Publisher: Greenwillow Books
ISBN: 006083577X
Starred review in: Booklist (January 2006)
Review: I finished this one awhile ago. I loved it and was so happy because I really didn't like The Queen of Attolia, but now I might have to go back and reread both The Thief and The Queen of Attolia. After reading the third, I think I might end up liking the second a bit more. I'm not so sure that this book will stand as a read alone. If anyone has read this, or is planning to, but hasn't read the first two yet, I'd love to hear what you think of it as a stand alone. There is a whole subtleness to how Gen acts that readers familiar with the first two books get that I'm not sure will come through to a reader introduced to King of Attolia first.
Reviewed by: Latricia B., TENA

1 comment:

SusanRap said...

I did not read the first two books.. I thought this was an interesting book but without a doubt, it was ABSOLUTELY necessary to read the earlier books... I simply did not understand all the political intrigues ant this is the major way in which the book creates suspense... Many important things in the book such as the relaionship between the king and queen, I mostly surmised but felt that in order for the book to stand on its own, it needed a lot more background information....